Sunday, August 31, 2008

e e cummings

I think that we should add a little art, here and there. Many years ago, when I was at college, my friend Coker introduced me to the poems of e e cummings (who did not believe in punctuation.) (I've probably got that wrong, but since nobody reads this except me, who gives a damn!)

Here is a poem that I love.

since feeling is first

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a far better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all flowers. Don't cry
--the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelids' flutter which says

we are for eachother: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

And death i think is no parenthesis


The poem finished at that last line, this is me again, still suffering from the machinations of the Widow Cliquot. Happy August, World! See you in September.

No comments: