Monday, February 6, 2012

Snow, Snow. Wet, Wet, Snow

I got up early this morning. There is a tendency to wake up when a 22 kilo Springer Spaniel licks your nose at 5.45 am. He does that very rarely, he never needs to go out into the garden before I get up on my own, but he was desperate. I discovered just how desperate when I opened the patio door and he bounded past me, one bounce on the patio and the next bounce onto the grass. That was a six foot jump. He was desperate!

Anyway, back to the story. The snow was still there, still about two or three inches deep, but it was raining quite gently. I had hopes that the rain would clear away the snow, but no such luck. Once I have got up and stood amid the snow in the garden at 6.00 am in early February, I have some trouble going back to bed and going back to sleep.

I spent the time profitably. My dear wife's laptop has been playing up, so I have been rebuilding it over the last day and I just needed to reinstall the Office Suite. The early morning gave me the time to do that, and I caught up on an episode of Top Gear from last night while I did so.

I opened the curtains at about 8 am when it was light. The rain had stopped and the snow was still there. Ah well, that's what happens when you dream of snow melting, it doesn't. Our normal walk lasted nearly 30 minutes longer than usual today. All of the paths were covered by snow that had been beaten flat into ice by the feet of dear sweet children on Sunday. They and their red plastic sledges. The paths are all up and down, that would be because it is pretty hilly round here, I guess. So our walk was extended as each step forward was accompanied by a half step sliding back. Sounds dreadful, doesn't it, but it wasn't. I always enjoy my walk, and Jasper is even more certain of that fact than I am. There is nothing like a spaniel for reminding you what life is all about.

The rest of the day I have spent doing a bit of this and a bit of that. Mostly wasting time playing silly games etc on my computer. I ought to spend my time more profitably, but I don't. I always admire people who are better organised than I am, but hey, you have to live with who you are.

The photograph. Well, our walk started under iron grey skies, so heavy that I feared that the snow might start again. It didn't. Indeed, by the time that I was almost back home again, just down the road from where I live, the sky had turned clear and blue. I was crossing a small open "green" space, not so much a park as a piece of open grass. Of course, as you can see, it was not what you would call green today, not unless you are colour blind. It is not a terribly pretty place, but the mackerel clouds, the blue sky and those two trees just looked inviting. I didn't take my camera with me today, in case I dropped it. But I did have my phone with me, and I have taken some really nice pictures on my phone. So I thought that I would have a go and see what came out. Doesn't look at all bad, does it?

Okay. Talk to you again tomorrow, if we are spared! You never quite know what tomorrow will bring!

No comments: